There comes a point for every business owner when they realize they just can’t do everything themselves. And, perhaps more importantly—they don’t want to do it all themselves. Part of the reason you got into business for yourself in the first place was because you wanted to be able to determine the kind of work you would do. And it doesn’t take long to realize as a business owner that there are tasks you’d rather not do.
Sometimes those tasks are just nuisances. Sometimes they are time-consuming, pulling you away from the tasks you need to be able to focus on. And sometimes they are simply out of your wheelhouse, and performing them is like pulling teeth.
Content writing can fall into any one of those categories for business owners, depending on their personal strengths and preferences. Whatever your reason, delegating the task of content writing can be a huge weight off your chest as a business owner. It can also be a strong business investment. A good content marketing strategy helps you get your message out to your ideal clients and convert leads into customers. It also helps you provide value to your audience, establishing trust in your brand.
5 Things that Might be Holding You Back from Hiring Out Your Content Writing
If content writing isn’t your thing, what’s holding you back from delegating the task? Here are 5 common reasons you might be dragging your feet on hiring a content writer:
- Feeling like a failure. I get it. As a business owner, it can feel like having to delegate a task is somehow a failure on your part. But I can assure you that’s not the case. Rather, being able to strategically delegate is necessary for growing your business and successfully scaling. If you have your hand in every aspect of your business, you’ll get to a point where you don’t have the capacity to grow anymore. You need to be freed up from some of the day-to-day tasks if you want to facilitate the growth and momentum to take you to the next level.
- Fear that your personality and voice will be lost. I absolutely understand this concern. You want your voice to come through when you’re communicating with your audience and your clients. You don’t want your personality to be lost in a bunch of salesy copy that doesn’t sound like you. That’s the great thing about working with a professional copywriter who specializes in customized, on-brand content. I’ll get to know you and your brand inside and out, before I ever write a single word of your copy. No cookie cutter, scripted content. I custom tailor every piece of content I create for your business to ensure it communicates your brand’s voice.
- Assuming you can figure it out yourself. Well, you probably can. In fact, you can probably figure out most things yourself when it comes to running your business. But just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should do it. I could probably figure out how to take my own photos or design my own website. But when I analyze the time it would take me to do those things—and most importantly, to do them well—I conclude that it’s really not the best use of my time. It’s actually much more profitable for me to delegate those tasks to people who excel at them, and for me to focus on my areas of strength.
- Not considering your content a priority. Here’s the problem with that: customer-centered content is vital to establishing a good relationship with your client base and encouraging them to buy from you. You can spend hours and hours creating great products and offerings—but if you’re not engaging your target market, you won’t get those things into anybody’s hands. If you want to not only reach your ideal clients, but also obtain their business, you need to produce engaging, high-converting content.
- Concern about the cost. As with any other investment you make into your business, hiring out your content writing will cost you. However, the good news is that a strong content marketing strategy is a powerful business investment that will help you reach your target audience, convert leads into customers and ultimately grow your business.
Still on the fence about hiring out your content writing? If there’s something holding you back I didn’t list here, I’d like to hear what it is! Let me know in the comments. Or if you’re ready to talk about outsourcing some content writing, get in touch with me today!